Happy World Sight Day!
We here at Visian ICL know the importance of sight and how important it is to maintain healthy eyes. See below some tips from The Health Site, who enlisted Dr. Preetam Samant, Director of The Eye Associates Mumbai (TEAM) to share some tips on how we can protect our eyes:
How to protect one’s eyes from overuse of computer in office?
Constantly working on the computer without blinking can damage your retina, so you need to take breaks to recharge your eyes. People usually forget to blink while working on the computer and the eyes don’t get naturally lubricated. This leads to dryness and redness. To reduce this, position your monitor below eye-level.
How to maintain eye health when watching something on the TV or laptop?
To maintain healthy eye while watching TV or laptop, you one need to follow the 20-20 rule which is easy to remember i.e every 20 minutes take a 20-second break. Stare into a spare or at an object that is about 20 feet away from you. This will relax your eyes.
Most commonly, you will not remember to take the break, so simply set a reminder on your phone until you get into the habit of doing this regularly. This rule also applies for people who use their smartphone or tablet to read or watch things.
When should one see an opthalmologist?
- When the eye is red with associated discharge, lid swelling and decreased vision. This could mean conjunctivitis and requires prompt attention.
- When vision in one or both eyes decreases – it could mean change of glasses, or development of some other complex problem.
- All diabetics, hypertensive patients must get an annual eye check up. Likewise for all children from the age of 4 years.
- Certain disease like glaucoma, in which the intraocular pressure in the eye increases, is asymptomatic i.e. the symptoms don’t show up. Hence, a routine check is a must, especially if there is a positive family history.
- Eye pressure should be checked in all people above the age of 40 years.
- All people with a high minus number must undergo an eye check, which includes dilated fundus/retina examination to rule out weak spots in the eye to prevent retinal detachment.
- When recurrent headaches occur – must visit their eye doctor to rule out a refractive error or a more serious underlying problem like swelling of the nerves.
For more info on the Visian ICL, check out the video below: